Thursday, November 1, 2007

Thing 10, Copyright and Plagiarism

Does this take the place of Google, the thing that's listed on our original list? I did this one earlier this month but it didn't get saved somehow, so I guess I'll start again.

Plagiarism is rampant and students don't seem to see anything wrong with plagiarism; they will copy anything and change a few words to call it their own. It's very easy in Spanish to tell if they have used another source because of the words and sentence structure they use that are not within their capabilities. One of the things I want to do with students this year is to use specific examples of what they should do to avoid plagiarism and I want to work especially to come up with research topics and ideas that are good questions as set out by the information I read. The criteria to do that and the steps to develop good topics will be very helpful to me and my students.

2 comments:

lyoder said...

Let us know how we can support your efforts with students in this area.

Leslie

Kita Vang Her said...

Kathy,
I share your pain-I don't feel successful at all with this issue of plagiarism-my students don't feel that they are doing anything wrong! Let me know if you have some strategies that can help!