Thursday, November 1, 2007

Thing 10, Copyright and Plagiarism

Does this take the place of Google, the thing that's listed on our original list? I did this one earlier this month but it didn't get saved somehow, so I guess I'll start again.

Plagiarism is rampant and students don't seem to see anything wrong with plagiarism; they will copy anything and change a few words to call it their own. It's very easy in Spanish to tell if they have used another source because of the words and sentence structure they use that are not within their capabilities. One of the things I want to do with students this year is to use specific examples of what they should do to avoid plagiarism and I want to work especially to come up with research topics and ideas that are good questions as set out by the information I read. The criteria to do that and the steps to develop good topics will be very helpful to me and my students.

Well, I found what I wrote earlier; I'm not sure how it ended up there, but... here it is.


Plagiarism is rampant in research and projects with students; they will copy anything (or make a few changes) and say it is their own. Since I teach Spanish, there aren't as many opportunities, but still I have had kids turn in writings that were not their own.
I have found that keeping the assignments on a "personal" basis, meaning that they are writings about themselves keep them more honest, although a few students have tried translation sites to write their paragraphs. (It's really easy to see those!)
For Dia de los Muertos my level 5/6 students had a lot of questions to research on line; most of the sites were in English so they had to change the material to fit words they already know and they had to cite the sites they used. As they become more advanced in their Spanish and online searches, the topics will have to be more carefully thought out, as suggested in the site on how to make a plagiarism-free research project.
October 28, 2007 6:04 PM

No comments: